Sunday, June 10, 2012

Grace's Goals (and a more detailed itinerary)

Before We Begin


This is Grace here! So I'm really not much of a blogger- as in, I've never done it before...but I'm very excited to start! So, looking into our trip, it's hard to believe that we actually leave in less than 72 hours (yes, the specific countdown is beginning). While it's still a bit stressful as we are in the throes of last-minute planning and packing, the excitement is overwhelming.

While Elizabeth is simply hoping that we come back from overseas in one piece, I have a few more goals, as well.

  • To see the sights and learn the history
  • To be immersed in the beautiful culture and language
  • To take time to simply wander the streets, enjoy the food, and breathe in new air, hear the new smells
  • To meet the local people and hear their stories (and, if we're going to be honest, as 18-year-olds, I think we'd be happy to meet some fun European boys as well!)

A More Detailed Itinerary

As Elizabeth said, I tend to be the more detail-oriented of the two of us (read: Obsessive Compulsive and sometimes more than slightly control freak-y). This said, finding a pace on the trip that fits both of our needs may be an interesting journey, but one that I am looking forward to embarking on with this dear friend! 

First off: London!

June 13-18 we will be in England. We plan to of course check out some of the major tourist attractions such as Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, etc. But I'm really looking forward to some more local-sounding activities such as an antique market, art museums, wandering the streets of Notting Hill. Since we will be there weeks before the Olympics, we are hoping to check out the stadium at some point, as well as taking a day trip to Stonehenge.

Next- Paris! 

If I am continuing my honesty, I'm probably most looking forward to visiting Paris. As a beginner French student, I fell in love with the language and the stories I heard from the place. I cannot wait to be immersed in such a unique and intense culture. We're taking the Chunnel and will be in Paris until June 22. During our time here, we're hoping to check out the Louvre, Sacre-Couer, Champs-Elysees, Jardin de Luxembourg, the catacombs, and other places and spaces. 

Then to Madrid it is!



Elizabeth and I are taking a night train from Paris to Spain. We're splurging for our two nights in Madrid and staying at a place that was named the "Trendiest Hotel in Madrid". During our time in this old city, we plan on seeing some of Picasso's great works, enjoying tapas, watching the flamenco, seeing the beautiful royal palace, and doing some antiquing at a flea market. 

Finally, time spent in Barcelona


Elizabeth's incredibly hospitable aunt is welcoming us into her home in Terrassa, a town in Barcelona. We're looking forward to spending time with them and taking their suggestions for how to best explore the city known for its beautiful architecture, culture and beaches. We're hoping to do some hiking with Lissa and her friends while we're there, maybe visit a beach, listen to some music, and just relax and enjoy. We'll even get to take part in the town festival due to great luck in dates coinciding! 

Then home again, home again...

I sit here now in my stuffy bedroom in our Lancaster apartment and am sure that I don't even know half of the adventures that we will get ourselves into. But that is what I look forward to the most! I am almost salivating by the possibilities that await us- the sights to see, the songs to hear, the people to meet, and the fun times to be had. 
Wish us luck as we attempt to stuff our clothes and the like into backpacks small enough to get away with as carry-ons! Let the European Extravaganza begin! 

Thanks for reading and for your thoughts and prayers!
xoxo,
Grace (and Liz)


1 comment:

  1. I have no idea how I missed commenting on this, but of course now I have to since I DID PROMISE :) I have to say, I'm impressed that you came up with a list of goals for your trip, I think that probably helped in the long run! Also, can't wait until you guys are home and can show me some pictures!!

    ReplyDelete